Welcoming a newborn into the world is an incredible experience, filled with joy, love, and, well… nappy rash. A baby’s skin is prone to dryness, rashes, and irritation, necessitating appropriate care.
Let’s explore the essentials of baby skincare that will help you keep your little one’s skin healthy and nourished.
Understanding your baby’s skin
Before grabbing the first skincare product with the word “baby” from the shelves, it’s essential to understand the unique characteristics of your baby’s skin:
- Sensitivity: Newborns have thinner and more delicate skin compared to adults; therefore, proper care is needed to help maintain dermatological health and prevent discomfort.
- Moisture balance: Babies’ skin is also less capable of retaining moisture, making it prone to dryness. Proper hydration is, therefore, crucial.
- Irritation: Infants have a higher surface-area-to-body-weight ratio, which means they are more susceptible to absorbing harmful chemicals from their environment, often leading to nappy rash, eczema, and other forms of external irritation. Suitable skincare products can help prevent and soothe these conditions, ensuring your baby’s comfort.
With these factors in mind, it is evident that a proper skincare routine with gentle, safe and natural products is crucial for maintaining the health of your baby’s skin.
A gentle skincare routine
A simple yet specialised skincare routine should keep your baby’s skin healthy and protected. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Bathing: Opt for lukewarm water and use a mildly fragranced (or fragrance-free) baby wash or soap. Avoid scrubbing vigorously, and ensure you support your baby’s head and neck during the bath.
- Nappy care: Regularly change your baby’s nappies and gently clean the “nether” area. Use fragrance-free wipes or a soft cloth with water to minimise irritation.
- Moisturising and massaging: Massaging an infant can have numerous benefits, such as moisturising skin, reducing pain, increasing weight gain and providing a great bonding opportunity between a baby and their caregiver. Use natural baby oil to massage your baby when they are quiet but alert, such as after a nappy change or as part of their bath-time routine. Even if you do not massage, ensure that you regularly moisturise your baby’s skin with mild, natural lotions or baby-friendly oils.
- Sun protection: Shield your baby’s fragile skin from harmful UV rays by dressing them in lightweight, breathable clothing and using baby-safe sunscreen.
Caring for your baby’s delicate skin requires a gentle and informed approach. At Balance Cape Town, we would like to save your (and your baby’s) skin by helping you embrace this precious phase, knowing that you are providing your little love with the best skincare. You can view our Mommy & Baby products here.